It actually started not at all as a granny square, but more like a ribbed circle:
This was not random. I knew exactly what I wanted to do. So, after quite a few false starts and quite a lot of frogging, I then started crocheting granny clusters around it...
...making sure I did increases in four equidistant places...
Granny clusters? Increases? You've guessed it: I was making the beginning of one big granny square, as you can see in the picture below.
The black row in the middle is made of double crochet stitches (US sc). It will crop up every three rows of granny clusters, as a way to make the colours pop. This is where I'm at right now, and there's quite a few more rounds to go...
So any idea what it could be? Go on, here's a massive clue, by Starrbeads. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to make a similar one.
Now, here's the snag... With the cold and rainy season returning, my wrist tendinitis is back with a vengeance, and I am forbidden any crochet activities for the time being, so there's a good chance this project will remain at a standstill for a while, unless I am a bit naughty and sneak in the odd crochet round here and there... We'll see.
The good news is I have a backlog of granny projects, which I can easily blog about while my wrist hopefully recovers, so definitely keep watching this space!
In the meantime, take care and don't forget to go and have a look at what the others have been up to this week at Jijihook's.